Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Done and DONE (for now)

Another day full of baking! We got off to a late start thanks to a very restless HUG last night. But, that's part of being a mom, right? And I DID take the day off, so it's not like I have to impress anyone....except myself and all of you....

So, here is the rundown.

German Chocolate Cakepops--These turned out very delicious. I think they look nice, if not a little silly. I think next time I'll stick with white or chocolate coating rather than red/green. The green candy melts were giving me a really hard time too, so that was a downer.

 Red candy melts, ready to be melted!
 Red cake pops....please note the kick ass rolling pin in the background!
 a little flair...
 Here are the green ones

and the white ones, which I think look the best...like snowballs!

Next up was finishing up the HUGS&COOKIES. MOMS Club cookie party is tomorrow. Today I went out and got the wine, fondue, and other goodies. So all that was left was finishing up the cookies. Here's how they look:




They really speak for themselves. They actually have an artificial look about them that both Hubby and I think is pretty cool. I can't wait to show these babies off to my friends...and see what kinds of cookies they have made for the exchange. With 33 ladies in attendance, I'm excited (LOVE my mom friends), nervous (my house is SMALL and my HUG will be sleeping), and anxious (I return to work tomorrow).

Finally, the toffee. This toffee is amazing....if you make it right. Which for the first time EVER, I have! I got the recipe from my Aunt Nancy who got it from a "Mrs. Barclay." Mrs. Barclay made my aunt promise that she would never give the recipe away...so when I asked for it, she actually said NO the first time! Since Mrs. B has since passed away, though, Aunt Nancy decided it would be OK to give it to me and me only. I had to promise to keep this recipe top secret, which I have. Maybe one day, I'll decide to pass it along to one of my favorite bakers, but until then, my lips are sealed. 
Let's just say this is not diet food....and it takes a while to make

 See how dark it's getting? It's so important not to let it burn!

 The pour! I was reciting my mantra "don't melt the silpat" the whole time. The silpat was triumphant!

 You can never go wrong when you drench something in chocolate...it's like a huge Heath bar

 See, it's bigger than my head!

 Oh yeah, and Go Steelers!

1 comment:

  1. These look so beautiful, E! The shot of the Hugs & Cookies on the white platter is awesome - lets them shine! Also, I love you.

    ReplyDelete