Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Homebound, Part I

Here she is! What a helper!
HUG #2 got sick for the first time. And by sick, I mean running a 100 degree temperature for about 48 hours. Sooooo, not really sick...playing hookie at the young age of four months.


In honor of such a mother-daughter day, we made cookies together. And not just any cookies, peanut butter, oatmeal, chocolate chip and pretzel cookies. Ummmm...yum. Pretzels in cookies are amazing. They reminded me of when I was little and my parents would take my sister, brother and me  to a cloister dairy that made pretzel ice cream cones--the salty-sweet combo was perfect.

Here is the recipe for these gems:



Mmmmm...cookies!
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 stick (½ cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
½ cup creamy peanut butter
½ cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar (I used sorghum because I was out of brown sugar)
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
½ cup rolled oats
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup crumbled (not too small!) pretzels...I used the checkerboard shaped ones



1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
3. On medium speed, cream together the butter, peanut butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and beat to combine. On low speed, gradually add the flour until just combined. Stir in the oats, and then the chocolate chips and pretzels.
4. Use a large spoon and drop dough onto prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly golden. Cool completely on the baking sheet and then store in an airtight container at room temperature.


I should probably call Ben & Jerry and ask them to make this an ice cream flavor...

No comments:

Post a Comment